Saturday, January 26, 2013

Latest Acquisition - Tidewater Tides and How I Make It Fit Properly

Each year as the new minor league baseball season begins I take a little time and look through each official website to see what, if any, new cap designs are being worn for the new season. Yeah, that's 160 websites. Usually it's the same old thing, but once in a while I come across something unique. Occasionally it'll be something of a throwback design. This was the case a few years back looking at the site of the Norfolk Tides. Back when they were affiliated with the New York Mets they had a cap which harkened back to their days when they played as the Tidewater Tides (from 1963-1992) and it was just like the NY Mets cap, but with a 'T' instead of the 'NY.' One of my favorite minor league logos are those which incorporate the parent club into theirs. So I was definitely getting me one of these. Alas, they didn't have it in my size. But a very polite email I received from their director of merchandising said that they weren't sure if they were doing the Tidewater throwback promotion that season, but she'd take my info and let me know if the cap became available in my size.

That never happened, and that next season the Tides changed affiliations from the Mets to the Baltimore Orioles.

Then, a few days ago I saw a Tidewater Tides cap in my size for sale on eBay! Scooped it up, amazingly fast shipping and POW!! Got it yesterday!

Too simple for some. Simply awesome to me.


One problem (and it was mentioned in the listing) the seller said was that although it is a 7 1/4 it was a bit tight. That happens sometimes with New Era caps. Especially ones made in the US. (as opposed to made in China, but that's a blog for a different day) This is not a problem for me, because some 10 years ago, for reasons I cannot recall, New Era was selling off these amazing blocks that apparently they used to mold caps. Seeing a once in a lifetime opportunity to buy something that would prove invaluable to me, I bought this thing.

Behold! A wooden block that shapes caps into my size!!!

How does it work? Well, simple. You just take your tight fitting cap and place it over the wooden block like so:

You take your tight fitting cap and place... oh I already said that.

Leave it on for a few minutes, and presto! Your cap is molded to your size and is ready to wear! After removing the sticker and brushing the visor to rub out the circle left behind, of course.

Really, I'm pleased. Not grouchy at all as this gritty picture may make me appear.

I cannot tell you how much usage I've gotten out of this thing. Like I said, I don't know why New Era was selling these. Upgrading to something that doesn't look like it's from 1920, perhaps? I'm just lucky that I was on their website at that time and one of those was available in my size. Oh, what was the cost of this wooden block? A bit pricey, in my opinion, but naturally they sold them for $59.50. Yeah. That I do remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment