Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Latest Acquisitions (caps)

So yesterday was Valentine's Day. And yes, chocolates were exchanged with the wife etc... but, what made it an over-the-top better than usual Valentine's Day was the shipment I got from www.ecapcity.com  containing two more New Era caps to add to my collection!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This is a New Jersey Devils cap in their original colors, used from 1982-1992, of a hunter-esque green and red. Fans affectionately refer to this color scheme as the Devils' "Christmas colors." Now, I'm not a Devils fan by any stretch, but given their pre-New Jersey history, it is something that I feel compelled to have in my collection. For the record, the colors they've used since 1992 are just a simple black and red. Same logo. Simple and awesome, I have to give them credit.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I also received a Colorado Rockies cap (my 3rd different one) What makes this one different, is that this one has a blue crown and a red visor. I currently have an all blue and an all red. I just had to have the two-tone. The Rockies were the incarnation of the Devils prior to relocating to New Jersey, and played in Denver from 1976 to 1982, for six awful seasons. I happen to be obsessed with this franchise, as I have collected quite an impressive amount of memorabilia over the years. But most important of them all are my New Era fitteds. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This here is my favorite of my Rockies jerseys. It is customized with #9 Wilf Paiement, who was the first player drafted by the Scouts, and did play for most of the Rockies tenure in Denver. This jersey (a CCM, by the way, just like my Canucks jersey) was acquired from www.icejerseys.com  I once wore it to an Anaheim Ducks game, where sitting under the press box, received attention from the Ducks broadcast team. They called down to me to compliment the jersey. That was pretty cool.


So let's complete the puzzle. This franchise actually got its start as the Kansas City Scouts, and played there for two unremarkable seasons, from 1974 to 1976. You're wondering, do I have a Scouts cap? Surely, you jest:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And a beauty it is! I love this cap because the logo is so unique. Sad that Kansas City couldn't support a franchise, but without that, there would have been no Colorado Rockies. And though it's sad that the Rockies franchise didn't work out, if that hadn't happened, there would likely be no Colorado Rockies baseball team today, so everything is somehow relative... Wow, how did I get here?
 
So, that does it for the history lesson portion of the post. One last thing, in the spirit of full disclosure, I have a Devils cap which, though not the original colors, was close enough for me to acquire it several years ago. You'll notice the green is quite a bit brighter. Now that I have the actual colors, I don't know what I'll do with it. Check it out:















 
Right. Who am I kidding? It stays in the permanent collection, currently sitting at 293 and counting. When I say permanent collection, these are the caps I display, not a total count of my caps, which has to be over 400. Yipes! Maybe I need help. Is there a New Era Caps Anonymous?

No comments:

Post a Comment